9.16.2010

Holed Up.

I've spent this rainy day holed up in my bed, listening to album after album that I've recently got my digital hands on, Netflixing and looking at photos on Flickr. Basically just not leaving the house for fear of spending money and the fact that I just don't want to! I'm so comfortable and happy.

It's storming terribly outside and I think it's wonderful. I'm not quite sure what it is I love about thunder and lightning storms, how peaceful they make me feel. I think it might have something to do with how destructive they can be... tear it all down and rebuild. Cleanse.

That is all I want to do. I want to get out of this city that has not done much good for me at all. I haven't done much since I have been here but spend money, drink an ungodly amount of alcohol, become more and more reclusive, carry a chip on my shoulder because spending any amount of time in a public space in NYC (read: THE SUBWAY SYSTEM) will turn anyone into a defensive, cranky and semi-anxious asshole.

I know there are a million and one things to do in this city. I know there are plenty of wonderful people to meet (I have met a lot of them), many many many free things to see and do (I have done most of them), and endless opportunities for growth (I have grown up a lot, myself). I am just done here. I have not found what I am looking for in the almost three years I have been here, and I'm not doing anything but getting older and disappointed.

It's time to unplant my feet from the ground and move on. Travel. Get some *real* culture. Use my hands. Get dirty. Write a true story. Take photos to go with said true story. Cry. Get scared. Fall in love. Get creative. Feel helpless. Move around. Find peace.

So in the Spring of 2012 I will be taking a huge backpack full of the very bare necessities (most importantly a notebook and a camera and film) and going to Europe, with whomever wants to come. I am moving out of this city that I love and hate so much, and moving in with my mom for a year to save up for this trip. I am beyond excited, and terrified. But I need a challenge, life is dull here.

On another note, here are some of my latest photos. All July/August 2010 with 3200 speed B&W film in my Nikon FM10. Brooklyn/Long Island/North Country, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment